How to use a 1936 20-amp meter in a system that is using a 100 amp alternator.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  chief36chevy 4 days, 14 hours ago.

• Author

chief36chevy
    Participant

I have a 1936 Chevy pickup hot rod with the original gages. The amp meter is a 20 amp. I am using a 100-amp alternator.
    I have figured that I need a shunt but don’t know how to calculate what size shunt I should buy.
    Can you make any recommendation?

John C
    John C
    Galco Representative

Hello chief36, and thanks for asking Galco. We appreciate your looking us up for your electrical needs, however we are not car people really. Having said that, sounds like you need a replacement gauge all together so the scaling will show right, or are you renumbering the face of the stock gauge? 20 amps to 100 amps is a 5 to 1 ratio and not easily acomplished without generating heat across a resistor to do the job. Have you considered a digital gauge?

chief36chevy
    Participant

I paid to have the factory gauges rebuilt so that my gauges will look like original.
    This gauge is an older gauge that has a rather large piece of metal inside. This is not an electronic gauge that is in use today.
    I was hoping to get a formula or chart to use to figure out what size of shunt I would need to make my gauge work.
    Blaine

John C
    John C
    Galco Representative

I found this on the web for you

http://www.resistorguide.com/shunt-resistor/

Perhaps this is what you need?

chief36chevy
    Participant

Thanks John I’ll give this a try.
    Blaine

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.