May be a bad Zener

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by John C John C 3 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Derek Lynch
    Participant

I have a Zener Diode here that measures 1.82 v on the reverse diode test I believe this diode is shot anyone can anyone help? as I think I may have to order some…

John C
    John C
    Galco Representative

That is probably a safe bet. Zener diodes basically measure the same as a rectifier type will, except maybe a little higher forward bias voltage like 0.7volt instead of 0.6. Reverse biased they will measure open like a rectifier until you reach the Zener voltage value. Do you know what it is rated?

Derek Lynch
    Participant

Thanks for the reply will test the rated voltage with the 1k ohm resistor and 9 v battery but since it is giving me a 1.8v when doing the reverse diode test when it should be OL there is really no point in going further so I ordered the 751 zener . I have the schematic for the Memory Man Deluxe and I already replaced the dead Voltage regulator (it is a -15v), however checking more the Zener also was probably dead as well.

John C
    John C
    Galco Representative

Very good Derek, my research shows that a 1N751 is supposed to be a 5.1 volt Zener anyway.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.