Low torque when hot

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Kurt Olson 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Kurt Olson
    Participant

Hi I didnt know where to put this question but its aquestion so put in here.
    Why does my motor run hot and then the output current goes up to limit and then machine slows down?

John C
    John C
    Galco Representative

Hello Kurt, thanks for asking Galco today.

Sounds like a serious problem but I have to ask first if you have an AC or DC motor driving the machine?

Kurt Olson
    Participant

Its a 15HP DC motor

John C
    John C
    Galco Representative

AH a DC motor, does the drive have a field controller in it or just a simple rectifier type supply?

Kurt Olson
    Participant

Whats a field controller?

John C
    John C
    Galco Representative

Ok maybe a better question would be, what is the drive you are using?

Kurt Olson
    Participant

Ok John I got the model number right here, it is a Bardac SLE24/58 drive

John C
    John C
    Galco Representative

Ok those drives usually come with a fixed field supply built in, so as the motor heats up your field current slowly goes down loosing torque so the drive has to put out more Armature power to do the same work.
    Does the motor have a cooling fan on it?
    If it does make sure it is running, and if it is a Squirrel Cage (sometimes called centrifugal) type make sure it is spinning the right direction. That type of blower blows air in the same direction if it runs backwards or forwards, big difference in air flow though if backwards.

Kurt Olson
    Participant

Yah actually it is funny you mention that cuz 1 of our old employee’s (Freddy, retired now) showed up a little while ago and said the same thing. Turns out it is running the right way but the inlet filter is so bad with dust it wasnt doing much. good call John

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.