Light Curtain Detection

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Joe L Joe L 1 year ago.

• Author

Ben Johnson
    Participant

Hello, I generally know how light curtains work but why are there different levels of detection? I have seen different devices specify levels of detection like finger, hand, body, etc. Why wouldn’t I always want the “best” level of protection, AKA finger protection?? Seems like you should go for the safest option in a safety device right?

Joe L
    Joe L
    Galco Representative

Hi Ben,

I think you are definitely on the right track with your question, though the main factor to consider is where and why you are looking to install a light curtain.

While you are correct in assuming that on paper, a light curtain with a finger-level resolution can typically be called the “safest” option, it is more of a matter of what you are trying to guard.

For example, body detection is beneficial in areas where you typically want to prevent access altogether, especially accidentally. On the other hand, finger protection is more appropriate for machinery that you will be closer to while operating. This way, you are still able to access and operate the machinery, but in the event that your hand or finger gets too close to a “danger zone”, the machine can be shut down before potentially causing harm.

Light curtains are very versatile safety devices and can be used for some pretty interesting purposes in conjunction with other safety devices, but I’ll save that for another day. 🙂 I hope this answered your question.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.