heat pump freezing up??

Tagged: 

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Joe L Joe L 1 year, 3 months ago.

• Author

Winston Ferguson
    Participant

Hi, I need some help with my heat pump system. Lately it has been freezing up, and by that I mean there is literally ice on the unit and it does not seem to be operating as well as it was before the freezing was occurring. Can anyone help please??

Thanks

Joe L
    Joe L
    Galco Representative

Hi Winston,

Frozen heat pumps are a bit unusual, but it can happen from time to time. First of all, have you checked your filter(s)? One of the more common causes of this issue can come from restricted airflow while operating your pump in cooling mode, which can be caused by an old, clogged filter.

You can then generally thaw the system out by turning off the cooling function and running the fan. You may also want to try turning on your pump’s heating mode on rather than the cooling mode to try to speed up the thawing process if you can comfortably and reasonably do so.

If these steps don’t work, your unit may need to be repaired by a professional. Potential further causes can include a low refrigerant level, dirty evaporator coils, or improper blower speed.

I hope this helped!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.